Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin Grant Erwin is offline

Default dental gold?

Abrasha wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 05:44:26 GMT, Grant Erwin
wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message

I had a tooth extracted today. It had been crowned with gold. They
gave me
back the gold crown, tooth still in it of course.

I seem to recall hearing that Coca-Cola actually dissolves teeth.
Is that
a workable solution to removing the old tooth from the gold crown? Is
there a better one?

Grant

Hammer.

That's kind of what I am thinking. I'll try that tomorrow, let you know
what happened.

Grant

A propane torch will just burn out the tooth from the gold.

Beware mercury fumes. The gold in crowns may be or contain
mercury-gold amalgam, not just gold-copper casting alloy.

Joe Gwinn

Gold crowns are not made from amalgams. Gold amalgams are used for
fillings. Silver amalgam fillings are always removed before a tooth is
crowned.

The reason that an amalgam filled tooth gets a crown in the first place,
is mostly, that there is new decay around or even under the filling, so
the tooth has to be cleaned and the amalgam is removed to make place for
either an inlay, overlay or a full crown. You cannot prep a tooth
properly for a crown, with the amalgam still in place.

It not necessary to put a torch to a tooth with a crown still on it.
Since the tooth has already been extracted, it will have become brittle
rather rapidly, because it is no longer fed by blood vessels and nerves.
Just take a pair of pliers to it, and it'll break in pieces quite easily.

BTW, before I became a goldsmith, I spent three years in dental school
at the university of Amsterdam trying to become a dentist.

I put the crown, tooth in it, in a bench vise, minor closure, CRACK, all
the tooth pieces fell out. Took about 3 seconds flat.

Now I have 2.7 grams of gold crown and another couple grams of whatever alloy
they use under ceramic. Oh, the bench vise cracked off about 95% of the ceramic
too, on that one.

Grant