Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default how do you edge find

Karl Townsend wrote:
There's been a role reversal at my place...

Whenever "The Kid" is home, I watch him machine to learn. he edge found a
part (in 15 seconds!) by flicking the edgefinder to make it wobble and then
turning the crank till it was on center.

I've always cranked till the finder "kicks" to one side. I don't have his
accurate eye sight and feel to do it that way. My results weren't as
repeatable ( I tried after he left) so I'm back to the "kick"

I don't know how well the technique would work for you guys who don't
work with mushy stuff, but I made a gizmo that allows me to locate a
corner of a workpiece (and either zero all three axes or just report the
x, y, and z coordinates of the corner.

There're photos at http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/SuperZero/ and a detailed
description at http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/SuperZero/ReadMe.html

I think I know how to make the little bugger work on "real" machinery,
but don't have any to play with. :-)

Anyhoo, I thought it might spark a few ideas...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar