Posted to alt.home.repair
Kenneth Kenneth is offline

Default Cleaning In-Wall Drier Vent????????HELP??????

On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 16:11:11 -0700 (PDT), infiniteMPG
wrote:

why not disconnect dryer then vacuum out the duct? tape up the hose for better suction?

GREAT idea. In fact we have a great 1-1/2 HP shop vac that we just
replaced the filter on and it really REALLY has some good suction.
Did know if we might have to use something from the top down. I'll
give that a try!

That's a great example of how these groups are great, such a simple
solution and yet it totally eluded me :O)

Howdy,

I would assume that the duct you want to clean is
significantly larger than the shop vac hose.

If so, you might find that it is not possible to generate
sufficient air velocity to actually get built up lint out of
the duct.

You might want to try shoving in something similar to a
chimney cleaning brush. Those are made of stiff metal, but I
would suspect that you could find something with softer
bristles for this sort of purpose. If so, shoving it into
the duct on a flexible shaft should free things up. Then,
when you withdraw it, it would bring debris with it. At that
point, the shop vac might prove to be very useful.

All the best,
--
Kenneth