Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Watson Tom Watson is offline

Default Jointing or Biscuits

On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 17:32:39 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Aug 7, 7:18 pm, Tom Watson wrote:

In all the tests that I have seen, although it is true that the glue
line does not break, the break is always near the glue line. It does
not appear to be the case that the break is in another part of the
panel that is away from the glue line.

What's up with that?

Somewhere in this thread, are my personal results from just such a
hypothesis that was put to experiment.

My personal results completely agree with the tests you have seen. I
am no engineer so I have no great, informed answer. All I know is
them's the facts, and that's good enough for me.

Robert

My suspicion is that the very act of gluing creates a weakness in the
wood fibers close to the glue line.

It's like a woodworking application of the uncertainty principle.

Regards, Tom.

Thos. J. Watson - Cabinetmaker
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet