Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default Dishwasher hot water usage

On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 15:11:50 -0500, "Steve Barker DLT"
wrote:

dishwashers only heat water if put in the sanitize setting.

Incoming water should be 140 or more degrees and be close to the source.

"Anagram" wrote in message
.. .
When a dishwasher uses hot water from a hot water pipe, does it know it
should wait till the hot water runs hot, or does it just go ahead and get
whatever comes out of the pipe?

If a dishwasher has the capability of heating its own water, would it make
sense to connect it to the cold water? If it gets cold water from the hot
water pipe, then, by the time it finishes getting the water it wants, the
hot water pipe would start to get hot, which would be wasted while waiting
for the dishwasher to use it again. That problem would be solved by
connecting it to cold instead of hot, so no hot would ever be wasted.
Right?

My dishwasher is hooked up to the hot water line only. Our gas water
heater is set to 125 degrees, so the dishwasher heats it to higher
temperatures. Cold water washing seems to be the trend, but I'm not
convinced cold water kills pathogens as good as hot water. My washer
does not have a "sanitize" setting--I thought it sanitized at whatever
settings.