Posted to alt.home.repair
PanHandler[_2_] PanHandler[_2_] is offline

Default Are electric WH timers worth it

"ransley" wrote in message

Please reply to my earlier post:
Compared to being on all the time, how could it not save me substantially
if
it only runs thirty hours a month? It seems to defy logic.
Thank you.

It will save as the water temp drops less heat is lost because the
differential of water to room temp is less. But if the cycle is to
short you are just reheating the water to use again. My electric was
still warm after 5 days. Electric tank if well insulated hold in heat.
What is saved depends on alot of things, what does the timer consume,
Insulation value of tank, basement temp. I think since your cycle is
short it may not save much. A 40$ savings is bs, my electric tank
costed about 45 a month. maybe you will save 5-15%, a guess. try
turning it off at the switch and see.

This is my original post:
What about me?
My WH is on for one hour daily (manually, when I get up in the AM). I take
my shower and wash dishes, then shut it off. There's still enough residual
hot water during the day for hand washing, etc. My clothes washer is only
used with cold water.

Reread the above and try again. No timer. It's off until the next morning.
Simple question - Compared to being on all the time, how could it NOT save
me substantially if
it only runs thirty hours a month compared to cycling for thirty days?