Posted to rec.woodworking
blueman blueman is offline

Default Piping basement for compressor air supply

"Edwin Pawlowski" writes:
"blueman" wrote in message
I have a relatively cheap 8 gallon compressor but still would like to
run some air supply lines including to avoid having to drag the
compressor along:
- 1 to central workbench area (20 ft)
- 1 to top of garage bulkhead (40 ft) to facilitate outdoor projects
and filling bicycle or car tires

- What piping material should I use? (copper? plastic? rubber?)
- What diameter piping would be best given length of run and size of
compressor?

The larger the pipe the more storage you have, but it also takes longer to
come up to pressure.

Do NOT use PVC. It is a danger and prohibited in industry by OSHA as it can
explode and make shard of plastic flying around.

If I want to make up a short (1-2') section of flexible hose to go
from the compressor to the fixed pipe run, can I make (or buy) a short
run out of easily accessible materials? (i.e. what types of hose
material and what type of fittings)

Copper is the easiest to work with, but copper prices are high. I'd look at
buying some 3/4" air hose for the long run, 1/2" for the short run.