Posted to alt.home.repair
SH SH is offline

Default Toilet Tank, Meet Toilet Bowl...

Quick question for the excellent folks here... I have a toilet bowl
(American Standard Champion 4) installed correctly, on a level floor,
am ready to attach the tank (Champion 4 Skyline, an appropriate match
as per the specs). I attach the gasket and then put the tank on the
bowl, lining up the two bolts... The instructions state fairly
clearly that I should tighten these until the bottom of the tank comes
to rest against the support "ribs" that run along the front and back
lines of the tank. And of course I should not tighten any more than
is necessary to correctly seat the tank. So far, so good. Well,
here's the problem... When I put the tank down on the bowl, it is
leaning forward, to the extent that the tank is already touching the
front rib, and a full inch above the back rib. (I mentioned that it's
the right tank for the bowl, and that the bowl is perfectly level,
right?) I can try to rock the tank back a bit as I tighten the bolts,
but even if I tighten WAY TOO MUCH, I'm still not getting the tank
anywhere near level. I say "WAY TOO MUCH" here because I've already
SHATTERED one tank attempting to attach it. No fun, and I'm sure a
great affront to every home repairman in this group. I'm really not a
total idiot, I promise. But I'm on the second tank here, and I'd
really like to avoid the same problem again...

Any suggestions very much appreciated! Sincere thanks, SH