Posted to alt.home.repair
TWayne TWayne is offline

Default DSL problem

Uhh, it is CAT5 or better wire, right?
Replace one at the 50' point & see if it'll work there. I'm betting
on something wrong with the wires. REgular phone cable will never
work over 100'.

Like I said, I did a loopback test of over 900 feet of regular 100
pair Cat 3 riser cable: From where it comes into the main building in
Ma Bells' frame closet, 450 feet away to the communicaton closet right
before it leaves the building to go out to the trailer, then looped
back 450 feet to Ma Bells frame again. It works. Distance is not the
issue.

Sounds like you have the situaiton in hand so all should be well now.
Just for the heck of it though a single loopback test isn't proof that
it's not distance related if it's the wrong type wiring. It only means
that one pair by itself works OK. And CAT3 cable explains a lot,
actually.
IMO if you have more problems later, which is likely what happened
that they originally said that modem was defunct, you need to look into
all the suggestions that have been made to you. When it quits working
again and if you come back here, try to include the missing details as
well as anything else relevant you can think of. Many people had good
suggestions and questions which you seemed to ignore. You have wiring
problems.

Best of luck,

You said the modem was in the building and you're running 6 pairs
100'? Why? Better to have the modem in the trailer. Assuming you
really mean "modem". What is your "modem"? Why do you think 100'
isn't too far away? What kind if wire is used to/from the modem
in/out? Are you using the shielded type wires? Are you ignoring the
ground pins or using them? Etc..- Hide quoted text -

The outdoor cable is called "Alpath". It is basically a rigid 6 pair
outdoor cable in thick jacket filled with silicone.
The modem I am trying to get working is in the trailer. It looks
basically like a broadband modem with wireless capability.
What I said was I tried out the modem box in the main building and it
works.