Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Laminated table top

If you have a router, you could put a tongue and groove edge on these
boards, then mount them to ply with nails hidden in the grooves, just
like flooring. I would use 3/4 ply for more heft and do something nice
at the edges. This is how flooring is done and you won't get any
cupping. The nails will float enough to to take care of that just like
in flooring. Just make sure the edge detail allows for some
movement.

On Aug 1, 10:12*am, "
wrote:
Need help here as to whether or not this is a good idea:

Got a line on 1/2 inch maple that I thought I would laminate to some
ply
and build a table top for a crafts area the wife wants. Figured I'd
join it with
biscuits and glue/screw it on to the ply to come up with a 1 inch
thick
top. I'd mount it on top of a 2x4 frame. The top would span a wall in
a small room in the downstairs, (a bit, just a bit more humid). The
span is about 6 or 7 feet and the top would be about that with a
depth of 3 feet.

However read in a mag that someone tried to do something similar
and ended up with cupped boards. The recommendation was just
to mount the hardwood to the frame without the ply substrate.

A 1/2 inch is not strong or thick enough, in my opinion for the
top I want to build. So I thought I'd double up on the maple, in that
I'd laminate two boards and then join the doubled boards with either
splines or biscuits and then mount that to my 2x4 frame.

Good idea or bad? Alternatives?

Thanks

MJM