Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default pond pump repair help

Dan K wrote:
Our 3000 gal/hr submersible pond pump failed to start a couple times. Once
it started after 1/2 hour or so, the other time I was there and unplugged it
and it started when I pluged it in again, but it was hot to the touch. I
took motor apart. Its an oil filled pump and it looks brand new inside.
Oil was clean, no water in it. 13uf capacitor, listed as "motor start
capacitor" in parts list, reads 13.6 uf on a capacitance meter. I'm not
sure what to do next as I don't see anything wrong. I was thinking of
replacing the capacitor just because I know they can fail, but that value is
hard to find. 12 uf and 15 uf seem to be readialy available, would one of
those work? Anybody have any suggestions as to what to do? No brushes in
this motor and bearings, seals, and gaskets are in great shape. Thanks

Dan

Hi,
By theory if you can't find exact value cap. Use next one up. Any how
those caps have very wide tolerance like 13.6uF +/- 10% for an example.
15uF should do fine. Is the cap can bulging? Typical sign of failing cap.