Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark D. Zacharias[_3_] Mark D. Zacharias[_3_] is offline

Default My VRDS-7 doesn't read the TOC

wrote in message
Arfa Daily ha scritto:
wrote in message

The problem is: when I put the disk (both original or cdr), the drawer
closes, the clamp loads the cd, the laser moves towards the center of
the disk and the disk starts spinning. After 4-5 sec, the disk stops and
the laser goes back to the home position (out of the disk area).

I don't know if it is a focus or track problem, or is a laser fault...

Those symptoms are pretty typical of a worn laser. Looking at the eye
pattern may help with diagnosis. If you can find a marked test point for
it, most manufacturers have the level there pretty much 'standardised' at
about 1v p-p.

Arfa

Thanks Arfa, I'll bring the player @work and scope it. I don't know how
the TP1 test point pinout, but found the RFO pin on the Sony ICX1367
This transport uses Sony KSS-240a laser pickup. I've read on the net that
Sony made 3 different versions of it and that not all fit the VRDS-7. Do
you know how to avoid buying the wrong spare part?
Regards,
Tony

The KSS-240A is readily available - I get them from East Coast Transistor
Parts. 1-800-645-3516. They run about 35.00 plus freight. They're a little
more expensive because the 240 includes the RF amp, laser power, tracking
adjustments, RF balance etc all together as part of the pickup assembly,
unlike cheaper pickups like the KSS-213.

Mark Z.

Mark Z.