Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Vaughn Simon Vaughn Simon is offline

Default Newsgroups access - sort of OT

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
As I understand it, AT&T is still carrying the big-8 newsgroup
hierarchies above, but has dropped all of the others -- especially the
alt.binries.* ones.

So -- if all you read is the big-8 newsgroups, you will be fine
for the moment with AT&T.

I guess I am sort of a boring person, therefore most of the .alt groups I
would never miss, but there are two alt.energy. groups that I visit daily. They
are still there, so AT&T has apparently not eliminated the entire .alt world.
FWIW, I have received no announcements from Worldnet about any changes.

Just in case, I am keeping my options open. I have aioe up and running and
will set up a Teranews account soon .

Vaughn

Nothing personal, but if you are posting through Google Groups I may not receive
your message. Google refuses to control the flood of spam messages originating
in their system, so on any given day I may or may not have Google blocked. Try
a real NNTP server & news reader program and you will never go back. All you
need is access to an NNTP server (AKA "news server") and a news reader program.
You probably already have a news reader program in your computer (Hint: Outlook
Express). Assuming that your Usenet needs are modest, use
http://news.aioe.org/ for free and/or http://www.teranews.com/ for a one-time
$3.95 setup fee.

Will poofread for food.