Posted to alt.home.repair
Kate[_4_] Kate[_4_] is offline

Default I'm Back - New Question About Grass

Great reply, and I appreciate it.

JimR wrote:
wrote in message
On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 12:08:16 -0400, "cshenk" wrote:

wrote in message

Leave it grow until it goes to seed. Then cut it as high as the mower
allows and leave clippings to mulch. The tall grass provides shade for
seedlings and retains water. Recut again when it goes to seed. Repeat as
required but no sooner.
Grin, I wish! Naw the city gives tickets if not cut often enough here.
Long before it gets to seeding level.

I didn't write the above, but it's good advice. Even in olaces wher it
is frowned upon, keeping the grass an extra inch or two tall makes a
huge difference in keeping weeds down, and reducing the need for
watering. You don't have tto let it grow 6 inches of more to get a
worthwhile benefit. Just set your mower to the highest setting, and
the lawn will still look very neat and manicured.

For most turfgrasses, 3" is a pretty good height after mowing, and you
should cut off no more than about 1/3 of the blade at a time, so set your
mower for about 3" amd mow it when it gets over 4". is not a bad rule of
thumb. Leave the clippings on the ground to add organic material to the
soil. That'll keep both the city and your lawn happy. If you let the lawn
get taller and thicker than 4 - 4 1/2 " before you cut it, you may generate
piles of clippings which will make your turf look blotchy because the spots
under the clumps of clippings won't be getting sunlight or growing like the
rest.

But as others have said, don't obsess. Mow it when it needs it, keep the
blade sharp, and put your real energy somewhere else..