nuk

Default Accurate cross cuts

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 01:21:41 -0400, Silvan wrote:

So I'm just curious. I'm not being a smartass. I just wonder if Starret
(?) takes special care to package those things so that they can withstand
the abuse of shipping intact. Some kind of wooden box with egg crate stuff
in it would probably suffice. Do they come like that?

I agree that it would be nice to have them coming in some kind of
hardwood instrument type case, since thats basically what they are. I
found this on Amazon (about the only negative comment I could find on
the 12" combo square):

snip
I'll admit, that I was a bit disappointed by the fact that it was
shipped in a plain cardboard box, and not a more permanent storage
container.
snip

So it doesn't seem like they come w/ much in the way of protection from
the manufacturer. But I'd hazard a guess that since about every
good mechanic and machinist I've ever come in contact w/ swears by
Starrett and considers them basically a 'gold' standard, that the tools
aren't *that* easy to mess up, whether due to simple design, close
tolerances, or quality materials. I recall a fellow a while back here
on the Wreck saying that he'd been having issues w/ Starrett over the
last few years, and preferred a different (even more expensive!) brand,
but he worked in a metrology (i.e. calibration) shop and I'd guess is a
little more picky than I am Haven't heard any complaints otherwise,
but then, I guess most people aren't equipped or qualified to make those
kind of evaluations...

nuk

--
I know more than enough *nix to do some very destructive things,
and not nearly enough to do very many useful things.