Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ross Herbert Ross Herbert is offline

Default Opinions on capacitor type ...

On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 03:05:19 GMT, Ross Herbert wrote:
:X2 is not recommended for the particular application.
:
:I have always tried to use Evox-Rifa (in the 60's they were simply Rifa)
because
:they were very reliable. Of course, with all the mergers/takeovers since those
:days I don't know how their reliability has changed, if at all.
:
:Have a look at the range of PHE426 pulse caps here
:http://www.evoxrifa.com/n_america/specs_pulsecaps.htm
:
:This series does not have 15nF/630V in 15mm lead spacing but if you want more
:than a few you may be able to order the 10mm spacing with lead length of 30mm
:instead of the standard 6mm.

The X2 you are using is probably this one
http://www.vishay.com/docs/28118/mkp3384.pdf

Since X2 caps are generally physically larger for a given value than a standard
MKP or other film type the space available appears to allow a component
measuring at least 5 x 11 x 17.5. You may be able to find ahigher voltage
standard pulse cap of similar size.

Sticking with the Vishay (BC) brand, the 2222 378 64153 in this range would be
ideal http://www.vishay.com/docs/28134/mkp378.pdf