Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default damp under kitchen sink and dishwasher

"Mash" wrote

Personally, I'd put the new floor on hold, pull the base cabinets, and
repair it all correctly before I went further. Piecing it in, in tiny
chunks through the cabinet bottoms, will not give a very solid floor.
And if the cabinets are made of chipboard, it is likely there is more
damage than you think.

Do you mean that there is probably more damage from the dampness? Is
the only way to tell to pull them out? The cabinets are oak.

How bad was the dampness? Do the walls seem damp also along it?

Some folks might go a little overboard on 'damp control' due to their area
where it is more of a problem. In your case, it seems more like a slow leak
with some softened plywood. You didnt indicate 'totally rotted out' (which
may mean problems under it as well).

Is your area a particularily damp area? Like New Orleans or Norfolk area
which was recovered swamp?

I'm in Norfolk area. We know lots about damp control ;-) I wouldnt pull
the cabinets myself if they seemed ok. I'm also on slab construction
(almost everything here is) so there's no problem with minor leaks on slab.