Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default damp under kitchen sink and dishwasher

"Mash" wrote

The danger of mold is overblown. What most people see is mildew anyway.
You can find "mold and mildew sealer" at the stoor. It seems to be a
bleach solution that dries in place and leaves a coating.

I'm definitely going to look for some sort of sealer for the area.

Good and he's right. Unless you have especially sensitive to mold problems
(allergies etc) then unless you saw or smelled alot of mold, it's probabaly
not a problem.

Figure out where the water is coming from before you put the new wood

I can't seem to find where the water came from. I guess in the
dishwasher space it could have come from a leaky connection, I've

There are several ways to find a slow leak. While it's apt to have been
where the dishwasher was from the sounds of it, you can test the rest the
easy way.

Get a bottle of dark food coloring and a roll of white paper towels (or use
an old white sheet thats ready for the rag bag). Wipe the pipes down to
completely clean so no dirt comes back on a paper towel. Fill the sink
(both sides if a double) and dump the dye in. Let the water out after
lining the 'floor' with paper towels. Look for drips. They will be easy to
see from the dye. Wipe the pipes again carefully looking for any dye.
Check the trap and pipes again after about 15 mins (slow leaks may take a
little to show). If nothing, it was apt to have been the dishwasher or the
connector to the dishwasher which is now removed ;-)

Thanks Steve,
The flooring installer told me that when he installs the floors I
won't be able to get the dishwasher out. He claims if he runs wood
under the dishwasher there won't be enough clearance for the
dishwasher to fit, mind you he said all of this before I even had the

Seems he's taking shortcuts? Perhaps not. Mine has a cabinet facing that
had to go when we replaced the old unit. Personally I'd rather have the
cabinet space back and use a portable dishwasher (the sort you just hook to
the sink faucets). I've had those before and they work well in the middle
to higher end models.

Congrats on the new house! I'm sure we will see more of you over the next 2
years ;-)