Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default My VRDS-7 doesn't read the TOC

wrote in message
Hi everybody,
I'm trying to repair an old cd player, based on a VRDS-7 TEAC mechanic.
The problem is: when I put the disk (both original or cdr), the drawer
closes, the clamp loads the cd, the laser moves towards the center of the
disk and the disk starts spinning. After 4-5 sec, the disk stops and the
laser goes back to the home position (out of the disk area).
The track display shows '0'.

I cleaned the lens with iso-propylic alcohol and I can see the laser red
spot if I side-watch at the lens in the dark.
I marked the original position of the focus and track gain trimmers and
tried to move them, with poor results: the player makes some different
noises and seems to work a bit harder looking for the toc, but with no
different result :-(
I haven't looked at the laser eye diagram yet as I have no scope @home.
I don't know if it is a focus or track problem, or is a laser fault...
Does anybody have any idea? Any help will be highly appreciated.

Tony

Those symptoms are pretty typical of a worn laser. Looking at the eye
pattern may help with diagnosis. If you can find a marked test point for it,
most manufacturers have the level there pretty much 'standardised' at about
1v p-p.

Arfa