Posted to alt.home.repair
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Wiring a (replacement) Electric Stove

Dick Adams wrote:
flaco wrote:

my 25 yr old house has a 220 outlet with a Red, Black,
and White wire at the 220 outet. Pulled out the old
stove and installing my new(er) replacement stove.
This stove has Red, Black, White and GREEN!..
at the new(er) stove end wire..want to marry the
3 wires from my box to the 4 wires of my new stove

what is normally done..??

I do my own wiring and I'll be damned before I'd risk
marrying a three wire 220V outlet into a four-wire
stove. That is dangerous and most likely illegal.

Why is it dangerous and what laws wold it violate?

My suggestion is to trace the wire to the breaker box
and replace it with the proper wire. I always use
one gauge lower than code.

Certainly nothing wrong with doing this, however considering the huge
number of stoves that are wired to three wire outlets and the paucity
of problems resulting from this, it would seem to be overkill.

If you attach the wire to a fish before removing it,
you shouldn't have a problem pulling the new wire up.
It may be a little more work and cost $10 more, but
you'll sleep better at night.

Have you ever pulled 8/3 with ground around a corner.

If you do decide to marry the wires, make sure you
have a damn good homeowners policy with a very low
deductible (like $100). Also make sure you all of
your smoke detectors are working - the Fire Marshall
checks them after the fire has been extinguish.

Why would he want to do this? What is it about connecting ground with
neutral that creates a fire hazard?

Being afraid of electricity can save your life.

Yes, it can, but what is the specific danger here?

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)