LRod

Default Plans

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 02:12:42 GMT, "Groggy"
wrote:

I'm not much for detailed plans, although arguably that could be my
problem. I've always gone along with a mental concept and some crude
sketches. In fact, on my website, on the "sewing cabinet" link is a
scan of the "plan" I used for it that will illustrate what I do.

For those of us that have written a computer program (plan),

I had a friend who said a computer program is always somewhere between
15% and 90% complete. Even before you write the first line of code you
have an idea of what you want the program to do, some thoughts about
subroutines, and even the institutional structure of any program in
general. That's the 15%.

We all know what the 90% is. It's when it's time to deliver the
software to the user, because it's running like it's supposed to, even
though we can continue to think of refinements or added features
almost ad nauseum.

I think plans are much the same way; at least for me. I can easily
consider I have the plan 15% complete before I even grab a pencil. The
other end might be a little different. I think it's much easier to
contemplate completion on a woodworking project than I ever could a
computer program.

LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net