Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default google books

"Flash" wrote in message

snip

Ed,

Us old-timey sign painters used lard oil in large amounts for preserving
lettering brushes, (flats, quills, fitches). It was able to remain fluid
in nearly any temperature, it kept any residual paint from hardening in
brushes, it would wash out easily, and even if you didn't wash it out
completely, it did not adversely affect the lettering enamel. Good
stuff!

That's one I hadn't heard of. I have heard they used it as lamp oil in
lighthouses. Pigs in those days must have been in high demand. d8-)

BTW, a friend of mine makes a great brush soap, used for fine-art brushes
and oil paints. It's called "Ugly Dog Soap." Have you heard of it?

--
Ed Huntress