Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
azotic azotic is offline

Default Large heat sink needed

"Jon Elson" wrote in message
Very interested in what you have done! Did you use the IR kit design, or
somebody's microcontroller?

I have designed the control logic in an FPGA for a 2-phase motor on a
high-speed spindle, but still have a bunch of testing to do before it
would work.

Jon

I don't use a microcontroller. In order to keep it as simple as possible
i use two CMOS chips, 6 opto isolators and 3 IR gate driver chips
driving 3 GTR IGBT's. They idea is to offer an alternative to rotary
phase converters, just a very basic VFD that will work reliably the
first time you apply power.

When i started out on this project my thoughts were that most
people with a home shop only just want to run thier 3 phase machines
and make chips. They may not need or want a lot of bells and whistles
that commercial VFD's offer, they just want 3 phase power. Those
were the design parimeters i used to build my unit with.

I will sometime in the future design a interface that plugs into a
standard PC printer port for people that want to experiment
with controlling 3 phase motors via computer.

Best Regards
Tom.