Morgans

Default Width of boards for Panel Glue Up

"James Cubby Culbertson" wrote in message
om...
(Brett A. Thomas) wrote in message

ws.com...
In article ,
"James \"Cubby\" Culbertson" writes:
Thanks. Unfortunately, with knotty pine, I'm trying to avoid

cutting
the knots and then jointing. What I'd end up with is half a

knot
then pure grain and that wouldn't look so good. I think I'm

just
gonna try building the panels based on where the knots are and

hope
I don't get warping. I might install a couple of cleats on the

back
of the panels to help prevent it. Thanks for the help.

Er, I've never actually worked with knotty pine, but aren't the

knots
supposed to be sound in that stuff?

Also, I don't think you ever said what these panels are for.

-BAT

Actually, in the very first line of my original post, I said these
panels were for a couple of hutches I'm building. Basically sides.
The knots in the knotty pine are solid but I don't want to edge join

clear board with one that has a knot cut in half at the edge.
Strength and such aside, it's an aesthetic thing. Looks cheap. So
I'm trying to rip my boards without splitting knots so when I glue

up,
all I have is grain to grain at the joints with no half knots.

Make
sense?
Thanks.
cc

My personal rule with pine panels, is nothing over 4 1/2 inches. Get
some more wood, so you can get rid of that one knot.
--
Jim in NC--