Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT re Teledesic ( Magic Jack Latency Question)

On Aug 4, 1:16�pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:
Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
�"J. Clarke" wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
�"J. Clarke" wrote:

Reed wrote:
snip

BTW, a few years ago I heard of plans for a network of
Low-Earth
Orbit satellites, that would avoid this problem. I wonder what
happened to that?

snip

check here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teledesic

I suspect the project died because it still had excessive
latency,
especially since they had to add an "internal" protocol to the
network because the LEOs are not stationary in the sky. (never
mind the *astronomical* cost(pun intended))

Iridium and Globalstar, both much less ambitious projects, failed
even come close to recovering the startup costs. �That being the
case, Teledisc was clearly a non-starter. �People who need that
kind
of service will pay quite a lot for it, but not enough to pay for
800
satellites.

--

Iridium was launched when cell phones were a rarity. If it had
been

Cell phones are what _killed_ it. �Nobody's going to pay a
buck-thirty a minute for satphone airtime when for a hundred bucks
month they can get unlimited cell phone airtime. �The only people
willing to do that are those who have to communicate from somewhere
where there is no cell service.

It's a niche product and the niche isn't big enough to pay for the
launch costs.

--

I see your point, but still I disagree. The whole concept of talking
on a phone while wandering around (by foot, car, or mule) was new,

Iridium missed the paradigm shift. Millions of executives now would
happily pay that price to avoid dead zones and dropped calls. And
the
price would decline as the subscriber based went up.

If "millions of executives" would do this then why does Iridium only
have about 250,000 subscribers?

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)- Hide quoted text -

iridium would of done better if it had been owned by a cell company
with a twist.

in no cell service areas, the phone would automatically go to sat
mode.

iridiums big problem, it took so long to get operational by that time
most folks already had cell phones, which were smaller, cheaper, more
convenient, and cell service areas were growing.