Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default New-fangled boiler question - Part 1 ...

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
news

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

Turn the boiler off.
Then turn the water mains off.
Do your plumbing.
Turn the mains on.
Flush the pipes by operating the taps.
Turn the boiler back on.

If you forget to turn the boiler off it may turn on and you get steam
shooting out of your cut pipe work if you are unlucky or worse if you are
very unlucky.

Thanks all. Ok. Before going on to my other question on these combis, a
part 1(a) to this question ...

Talking this through with said daughter tonight, it turns out that she
wants to replace the shower as well. This is a wall recessed
'conventional' mixer shower with temperature and flow valves, and is over
the bath, so presumably fed from the same pair of pipes as feed the bath
taps.

Not if it has been installed correctly.
It should have its own pipe work back to the cylinder and the cold tank.
It stops the temp changing when someone turns on the tap.
It works well if done right.

I'm going to assume that this has been in there since before the boiler
was changed. Now, she says that the pressure is not very good, so I'm
wondering now as to what sort of pressure would you expect from one of
these boilers, because I'm guessing that the pressure must be restricted
from that of the rising main, to allow the bloody thing time to heat the
water as it passes through ??

The pressure is mains, there may be a flow reducer in the boiler.
I fitted a pressure reducer (3.5 bar) in my dads to stop water splash in the
basin but it doesn't affect the shower much.

As someone else had suggested, I was considering fitting a pair of service
valves to allow the rest of the system to be repowered, but I'm now
thinking that if the pressure really is low, then I'm not going to be
doing myself or her, any favours by dropping it still more with valves in
the lines.

That aside, are any types of shower valve more suitable than others, for
use with combi boiler hot water systems ? Any specific recommendations ?
She is not going to be wanting to spend too much, and we are probably
going to be talking B&Q here (yes, I know, but she's only young ...)

Always fit a thermostatic one, they are cheap these days.
I like the mira ones but that's low end and only have a life of about 25
years.