Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New-fangled boiler question - Part 1 ...

Martin Pentreath wrote:
On 3 Aug, 18:11, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Martin Pentreath wrote:

I assume you're not planning any work on the
radiators here? That's when it gets a bit more complicated.

?

How so? I find it easier.

Well unless you have some handyman trick up your sleeve, breaking into
the rad circuit means draining everything down, ideally a bit of a
half-hearted flush while you've got it in that state, refilling,
runnning all round the house bleeding rads and getting nasty radiator
water on your clean magnolia walls and cream carpets, there's bound to
be an airlock or some awkward leg of pipework somewhere that won't
fill properly and gives you jip, and then you have to repressurise it
all and put inhibitor in when you're done. How can that be easier than
turning off a stopcock?? Go on, tell me the trick, freezing kits don't
count!

Asuming you are just working on one rad; Close filling loop, turn off TRV's
& lockshields to all other rads.

Use wet vac to suck water out of rad (& some pipework) you are working on.

Use Fernox cartridge or Wickes pump to add inhibitor to said rad. Re open
all TRV's & lockshields to previous settings.

Open filling loop so gauge reads as it should, bleed said rad (using
microfibre cloth to catch any drips).

Repeat on other rads. Since all other rads were isolated there won't be
much to bleed anyway. System fills under mains pressure so no airlock
problems.

Owzat?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman