Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default Back Yard Patio

pavers and the plants growing between them? Concrete is better

Paver maintenance- 30 minutes once a year to kill/prevent weeds.
Concrete maintenance- probably need to seal once a year.

Paver repair- remove paver, replace.
Concrete repair- remove patio, replace.

I prefer the look of pavers over almost any concrete I've seen. There
are some great concrete jobs, but I doubt the OP is about to call one
of the artists who do those beautiful jobs.

I have seen functional DIY concrete work- but never beautiful. Pavers,
OTOH, lend themselves perfectly to 'learn on the job', DIY types.

Jim

Landscape cloth just before the pavers will help to keep down the weeds.
There's RoundUp for everything else. And I think anyone with any artistic
ability at all, a tile saw, or at least a brick chisel and hammer, could
come up with a unique design so that when someone asked, "Wow, who did
that?", they could say proudly, "I did." This stuff isn't rocket surgery.
The hardest part is getting the sand in, compacted, and to grade. After
that, it's just put the bricks in place, and even with a pattern or cutting
some bricks(pavers/whatever), it don't have to be exact. If you can draw it
on graph paper, and know anything about a protractor, square, triangle, and
a mechanical pencil, you can make your own design and transfer it pretty
darn close onto the real field.

When I did wrought iron work, I'd tell the customer that the proper viewing
point was across the street. What the neighbor or passerby would see. Once
you back up a bit from any work, the flaws and mistakes blend in unless
they're just terrible.

Steve