Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_2_] Steve W.[_2_] is offline

Default Do modern engines last longer?

Christopher Tidy wrote:
William Noble wrote:
"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message

Hi folks,

This question came into my head a few days ago. I often hear people
suggesting that the latest vehicle engines last longer and are more
trouble-free than older engines. But I also hear people saying, just
as often, "They don't make them like they used to".

short answer, "yes", at least for automotive use. I have 1936, 1938,
1951, 1959, 1985, 1986, 1993, 1997, and 2001 vehicles under my
purview. up through the 51 year car, 150K miles or so was the limit -
at that point the bores were 40 to 60 over, rings shot, no
compression, crank oval, no oil pressure, etc. 59 is good for 200K
easy. there was a major change in the metalurgy of the engine block,
etc, as I understand it - we can debate what changed, but the
longevity is just not an issue.

Thanks for sharing your experience, William. If any designers out there
know of significant changes in car engine block metallurgy over the last
50 years or so, and are able to share them, I would be very interested
to hear.

I'm under the impression that cast iron blocks and/or cast iron cylinder
liners were the norm in the 1950s, and that cast iron liners still are
today, but I could be wrong. There have been some engines which use
coated aluminium cylinders, but after the Nikasil and sulphur problems
in the 1990s, I thought they were in decline.

Best wishes,

Chris

Cast iron blocks have been around since day one of engine production.
However the iron alloys used today are FAR superior. It allows thinner
castings that have tighter grain patterns and through the use of newer
alloys the wear and machining characteristics are such that the blocks
made today last longer.

99% of the aluminum blocks use steel liners cast into the blocks. The
rest use a type of chrome plating of the cylinder walls. Most of them
are not built for long life though. Many are air cooled small engines.
Things like lawn mowers and weed eaters. The industrial/heavy duty ones
have iron or steel liners.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York