Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Pentreath Martin Pentreath is offline

Default New-fangled boiler question - Part 1 ...

On Aug 3, 5:03*pm, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
Hi all

My daughter moved into a house a while back, which has had the boiler
replaced with one of these new fangled things that sits on the kitchen wall,
and has about a thousand pipes going up to it. No problem there - seems to
work ok.

She is now looking at replacing the bathroom suite, and good old dad is
going to get roped in to do it. Over the years, I have done much DIY
plumbing on my own houses, and would not normally have any trouble shutting
off supplies and draining down as required, to disconnect the old bath,
basin etc. However, all of my experience in plumbing, has been on what was
previously the 'conventional' indirectly heated stored hot water systems.
Now as I understand it, these new style boilers heat the water 'on the fly'
like an electric shower, or an antique geyser ??

So, my question is, what do I need to do to isolate the hot and cold feeds
to the bathroom, and does anything need to be done after connecting up to
the new suite, other than turning back on, whatever has to be turned off to
do the job ?

I have a "Part 2" question on this, related to my own installation, but that
can wait until I sort out what I'm doing here ...

TIA

Arfa

Hi Arfa,

I take it we're talking about a combi here then? As you say they heat
water straight from the mains on the fly. If you turn off the mains
water at the stopcock you will turn off hot and cold so you can
replumb bath, basin and loo quite happily. When you're done just turn
it back on again. I assume you're not planning any work on the
radiators here? That's when it gets a bit more complicated.

Cheers!

Martin