Posted to alt.home.repair
Marc Marc is offline

Default Benjamin Moore exterior paint

On Aug 2, 5:57 pm, JXStern wrote:
On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 16:41:50 -0500, dpb wrote:
JXStern wrote:
I need to redo some exterior wood trim, paint is half-flaked off
already. Assuming I scrape and sand it clean, any opinions on the
current versions of Benjamin Moore exterior paints?

As good as any but, of course, like everybody else BM makes various
price points so just the brand itself is of little or no value.

I'd only note that if the existing is flaking there was a problem w/ the
preparation before. It is highly likely if it has flaked the surface is
now oxidized and it will not hold paint simply after a light scuff
sanding. It would be wise in all likelihood to use an oxalic acid wood
cleaner to remove that oxidation layer (it'll bring it back to an
appearance almost like new wood even if it's grayed) before repainting.

I'm not familiar w/ BM's complete line, but I'd be wary of trying to get
by w/ no primer in such a situation especially. New work painted within
60-90 days of installation, maybe--old work especially already w/
demonstrated problem...not so much.

Thanks all for recommendations, I guess I'm talking the Aura paint.

Yes, some of the wood shows gray, highly oxidized, I'll check out that
wood cleaner.

Just visited the paint store, I also asked about touching up the main
stucco, and the guy recommended primer there, too.

J.

I painted my trim using Aura about 6 weeks ago. Primed the scraped
and bare spots with tinted primer. I was told by the BM dealer that
using Aura I would not have to prime and that one coat would be
sufficient. Primed and two coats were necessary and this was going
over the same color that the house was painted before. The house does
look great but I don't feel that the Aura paint is worth the premium
price over the MoorGlo that I used before.