Posted to uk.d-i-y
Spamlet Spamlet is offline

Default Holts Piston Seal

Spamlet wrote:

Mind you: the engineering is now so much more reliable in the first place
that we can get away with it for phenomenal mileages. Just a shame to
have thrown the baby out with the bathwater somewhat when repairs are
eventually needed.

Now where did I put my adjustable reamer...

scrappies still exist. A friend re-engined an old car from a scrappie
engine where his daughter had foolishly run it with no water in it..

Which reminds me: I never did get around to experimenting with oils instead
of water, for the cooling. So many many engines have been thrown away just
because the oily bit and the watery bit don't get on when a gasket or o-ring
gives up...