Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony[_13_] Tony[_13_] is offline

Default Two devices, only a single electrical box

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 08:01:16 GMT, "Calab" wrote:

Howdy!

In our bedroom, the light switch is in a single gang electrical box. This
switch seperately controls the ceiling fixture and ceiling fan.

I want to replace this switch with a ZWave dimmer, but I don't have anywhere
to install a fan control. The electrical box is mounted in a position where
I can't fit a double gang box. I can't find any ZWave controller that will
allow ZWave to dim the lights, and manually control a fan.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can deal with this?

Thanks!

You might consider one of those overpriced extender boxes from
Wiremold, made to connect to surface conduit. You can get a two-gang
box which will mount over the existing single-gang switch box. Install
the dimmer over the original swith box, and install a switch in the
other half of the Wiremold box. The dimmer installation might require
some custom cutting of the plastic box's back mounting plate. Be
careful not to weaken it an any important places.

If it were my project, I would install an aftermarket remote control
module in the fan, or just replace the fan with one that comes with a
remote control. In the switch box, just wire the fan directly to
power, leaving the rest of the room in the box for the dimmer.