Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Professionals Reply Only

Tony Hwang wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:

evodawg wrote:

Have you noticed that our choices for Pro Line Tools are diminishing
fast!
It use to be there was 4 or 5 choices for good quality power tools.
Black
and Decker has bought up 3 of those products and now turned them into
CRAP!
What are our choices now? None. Most of my power tools are Porter
Cable and
I have had great luck with them. I have a 14.4 drill/driver that has
lasted
7 years and I use it everyday. I have already seen the quality of
this tool
drop from Pro Line to Week End Warrior status. What are we suppose to
use
now when we want Quality and Dependability?

Bosch comes to mind and Festool, but I'm not sure who builds these.
I'm sure
every tool built now comes with China fasteners and what few metal parts
are left in them. I'm just getting sick of large corps. buying these
tool
makers and turning them into cheap ass trash not even worthy of Weekend
Warrior Status.

I needed to VENT and was wondering what you guys think of this trend?

Rich

It's not just tools, it's every consumer good. For *most* people the
thought of buying tools/goods for a lifetime never occurs to them,
just getting them through the next job.

I tear up whenever I think about all the old Delta tools that were in
my grandfather's workshop that ended up getting sold because when they
moved out I didn't have the money (although I'm sure if I'd expressed
interest, I would have been given them, I would have felt guilty,) a
truck, or a place to put them. Fortunately I got a lot of his hand
tools and AFAIK what my grandmother still doesn't have were taken by
my cousin's husband; the only great loss was the tubing tools which
were sold.

I'm still having good luck with my Milwaukee and Makita stuff, but the
only major tool I've bought within the last decade was a new Sawzall,
the rest of it is fairly old.

nate

Hmmm,
Old red Milwaukee, Bosch(made in Swiss), Porter Calbe(made in TN).
My idea of getting something is buy best I could afford and keep it life
time. Stuff made in China depends on what spec. it is made to. Not
everything Chinese is bad.

I didn't mean to imply that, but it seems that really the only way to
evaluate Chinese quality is visual inspection, as a lot of stuff hasn't
been on the market long enough to see whether it's really durable or
not. Also many stores take a dim view of disassembling the samples in
the store And you have to admit that some Chinese products have
indeed received a bad rap for quality.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.