Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Any 5C adaptor that could fit this?

On 2008-08-02, Dave August wrote:
Iggy,

I had a "chuck" style closer on my old import because it's spindle bore was
too small for 5C.. It was quite adequite and well with in .0005 once I
dialed it in, no need for a "tru-set" kinda thingy here. Biggest down side
is it's a real pain when you swap collets, and if I had my choice would be
last.

O.K. My only real experience with a 5C collet chuck was on a
friend's Logan and it had terrible runout -- but we finally discovered
that the spindle nose was bent, and found a replacement on eBay.

However, the key for swapping collets was still terrible --
especially since I was used to a lever style closer on my 12x24"
Clausing. :-)

Have used "handwheel draw tubes", servicable but a pain, make it a second
choice.

They are not bad on the WW collet spindle for the Unimat SL-1000
and on real jeweler's lathes. I've not used them on larger lathes where
the reach is longer.

Have a Royal "lever draw tube" on the 5914... It's the way to go... Good
deals are tough but $125, for all the important pieces is about right...
Important pieces includes the splined coller that mounts on the back of the
spindle, without that it's just not worth the effort.

:-)

I was lucky that my Clausing came with a lever style closer, but
I did have to replace the adaptor and nose protector when I replaced the
2-1/4x8 nosed spindle with one with a L-00 nose.

I managed to purchase a used Royal lever setup with the spline and tube,
that was the correct mount and length for the 5914, but I had to fab the
pivot arm.

O.K.

BTW DoN, I bought the 4.5 morse to 5C on e-bay (it's reasonably common) for
$25.00 and made my "nose cover" from scrap AL.

Finding the adaptor on eBay would have taken too long at the
time (I checked) so I went for the purchase of adaptor and protector
from Royal through Scott Logan. (I'm glad to hear that he has a new
source -- I just got in under the wire with the Royal ones I think.)

As for making the nose protector, part of the problem was that I
had never seen one for the L-00 so I didn't know what I was making. The
other part was that I didn't have any scrap large enough for the task at
the time.

Iggy, you at least need to see some pictures of a lever action, but you
really need to see one in action.

Even better -- to *use* one. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564