Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default wiki: Backup power

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Been there, tried that. It was responsible for more system downtime
than the mains failures, completely defeating the object of running
the UPS! Oh, and you forgot mention security vulnerabilities.
Maybe it got better in the 10 years since I last tried it?

The modern versions of powerchute ain't so bad these days.

Alas my UPSs have RS232 serial connections rather than USB, and at the
time I had that particular problem I did not have enough serial
connections to spare for the UPS!

Solaris normally has no problem just pulling the power cord
(particularly a server which is not very busy because most of its
clients lost their power already), so I ditched the software and
just let system die when battery ran flat. That always worked fine!

Yup, most of my boxes seem to cope if that does happen.

--
Cheers,

John.