Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Magic Jack Latency Question

On Jul 31, 1:32�pm, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote:
"Art Todesco" wrote in message

On Jul 30, 3:41?am, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote:
I have a dish Internet setup at my remote cabin. ?Sheesh, we have
Internet
and HD TV, but no phone. ?It's a cell phone dead zone. ?I tried Skype,
but
because of the latency problem, it would not work. ?Does anyone have a
Magic
Jack set up on a satellite dish at a remote location, and if so, does it
work? ?Anyone know if the latency problems with VOIP units has been
worked
out yet?

Steve

Steve is there ANY cell phone working spots nearby?

Nearly all cell phones have jacks covered with plastic to plug in a
remote antenna.

there are high gain yagis for this purpose. have suggested this to
several friends all got phone working.

yagis are high gain directional you walk around to find a good spot,
sometimes attached to a high spot like roof peak. getting above dense
tree growth helps.

the cell phone tech folks at the stores know nearly nothing about
remote antennas.

if you want more info let me know.

As I am building a house where there is marginal cell service, I would
like info about these. �Please post for all of us.
Thanks,
Art

We do have to drive a couple of miles up the mountain, and then we can get
cell service. �The antennas are essentially on the other side of the
mountain we live on. �But a couple of the cabin owners say they have
powerful cell phone models, and if they hang out one of the upstairs windows
and move around they can finally get a line. �Would like to hear more about
your idea.

Steve- Hide quoted text -

the external antennas are avaiable for all cell services Depending
on the company the antenna can be different they are tuned to the
frequency your carrier uses.

Highly directional you may have to experiment a bit to get service,
and your phone MUST be plugged into the external antenna cable,
although you can get a cell phone dock to connect a cell phone to a
standard cordless or regular phone.

e bay is a good source

http://cgi.ebay.com/24db-gain-yagi-c...QQcmdZViewItem

here is one, I see they now have adapters so one antenna can be used
for different frequencies