Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Two devices, only a single electrical box

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 08:01:16 GMT, "Calab" wrote:

Howdy!

In our bedroom, the light switch is in a single gang electrical box. This
switch seperately controls the ceiling fixture and ceiling fan.

I want to replace this switch with a ZWave dimmer, but I don't have anywhere
to install a fan control. The electrical box is mounted in a position where
I can't fit a double gang box. I can't find any ZWave controller that will
allow ZWave to dim the lights, and manually control a fan.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can deal with this?

Thanks!

I had a similar problem. In my case I wanted to replace a simple
switch with a dimmer. The switch box was also a junction box (had 4
#12 cables coming into it) and there wasn't room for the dimmer. This
was on a narrow section of wall without enough room for a 2-gang box.
I installed another 1-gang box below the original one (below, because
the existing wiring would get in the way above), This new box has
plenty of room for the dimmer (it has no wires in it except for the
ones going to the dimmer). The original box is now just a junction
box, and has a blank cover plate.

BTW, I also took the opportunity to reroute one of the previous
owner's add-ons (putting Romex under cable clamps in the metal box).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov