Posted to alt.home.repair

Default People experienced with door installation

On Sat 02 Aug 2008 10:05:19a, Billy Pilgrim told us...

The problem:

I had a Masonite entry door installed by a HD contractor, about two mths
ago, that had some problems. The bottom was sticking and the door wasn't
sealing.

Long story short I had to get the owner of the company out to fix it
because his crew was too rude and ignorant to fix it right.

I just noticed the insulation is peeling off the bottom of the door. One
of the thin pieces of rubber on the bottom of the door is already
peeling off

Question:

Should I bother theses yoyo's anymore with this? Should I do it just to
be a pain in the ass?

*Experienced please*

Nothing personal. Just a few of you guys are off-the-cuff with your
advice.

Also, no ****ing matches. I've had enough.

We had, perhaps, a similar experience recently with a new home we
purchased. The side door was to have a 9-light window. A solid door was
installed instead. The builder sent a crew out to replace it. The
replaced it with a completely new pre-hung door assemble. We did not watch
the replacement process.

A year and a half down the road, through daily use and a couple of door
slamming incidents caused by wind, we noticed that the entire door
assembly, especially on the opening side, had begun moving outward, away
from the house exterior wall. Total distance of movement was almost an
inch, and the door itself no longer sealed properly. It was easy to see
light at the top, bottom, and opening side of the door. They had obviously
just set the prehung door assemble in place and never fastened it to the
house.

After a couple of calls to the company with promises of coming out and
never showing up, we decided to remediate the situation ourselves. We
removed the exterior trim molding, pulled the entire assembly back into the
proper position, then shimmed the space between the assembly and the house
structure, finally driving in heavy 3-1/2" galvanized finishing nails
through the door frame into the studs, recessed slightly with a nailset.
Lastly, we replaced the exterior trim, then filled all the holes with white
silastic sealant to match the finish on the painted wood. We also applied
the sealant at the edge where the trim met the exterior house wall.

The bottom rubber sweep/strip was easily replaced, too. They just slide
into a track.

Gawd, I hate dealing with inept contractors and workers, and I felt very
self-satisfied in having done this myself and the knowledge that it was
done properly.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 08(VIII)/02(II)/08(MMVIII)