Jeepnstein

Default Isn't relying of someone else's plans kinda like painting by paint by numbers?

I always enjoy reading over a set of plans. From my point of view they are
no different from a book or short story. I'm always interested in learning
different methods and styles. How else, except for serving as an apprentice
under an accomplished cabinetmaker, am I going to see how others practice
their craft? I look forward to the plans I get in my Woodsmith
subscription just to get to try a new technique.

Oh, I'm looking for plans right now. I'm interested in library shelves and
built-in china cabinets at the moment. We're going to need about a dozen
Adirondack chairs for our front porch in the spring. And I'm still on the
quest for the perfect fishing rod rack, something stylish and solid that
suits my arts and crafts taste. How else can I see what others have learned
unless I look for plans?

Jim

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message
. com...
Everyone keeps asking for plans, plans, plans. Doesn't anybody have a
clue of what THEY want to make, rather than copying someone else's
ideas? I'm constantly amazed at the things people ask for plans for.
They even PAY for plans! The fun in building something for me is coming
up with a design, and then implementing it. If I said I was as painter,
I sure as heck wouldn't get a paint by numbers kit and just paint within
the lines. That's NOT a hobby. OR is it?? Am I all wet?? Do I have the
wrong idea about what woodworking is about?

This little rant is designed NOT to hurt anyone's feelings: I JUST WANT
TO START A DIALOG ON THE SUBJECT, AS I JUST DON'T GET IT!

Perhaps the reason that people need plans is they can't think in three
dimensions?? Is that it?

Dave