Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Do modern engines last longer?

Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote:

In additions to metallurgical advances, there have also been major,
good changes in lubricating oil and manufacturing precision.

I was talking to a friend who runs an engine rebuilding business,
specializing in rebuilding antique and classic engines. I told him I
was looking for plastigauge in a parts store, but they didn't even
know what it was.

He said he does not check clearances on new bearings when using new
cranks, or even when he has turned a crank himself and measures
journals. He says bearings, and new cranks, are the nominal size the
mfg says they are, to a perfectly adequate precision, not like years
ago. He says measurement capability and machining operations are much
improved today.

Sure. Today they are made under computer control, instead of union
workers.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth's aluminum foil beanie for the 'global warming'
sheep.