Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Leaking Cistern

On 2008-08-02 18:35:20 +0100, "Zen83237" said:

I had to replace the syphon in the close coupled wc and now I can't stop
the
damn thing from leaking. I have fitted a new rubber bung so what is the
knack for getting the thing to seal properly. The next step will be
copious
amounts of sealer but I dont see that it should need that.

Kevin

Do you mean that it's leaking into the pan or from the join between
cistern and pan?

What type of siphon is it? The old fashioned kind or the lifting flap
kind?

It is a modern cistern, about 6 years old. It is leaking between the cistern
and the pan so I assume it is leaking when it is flushed. The original bung
was an expanded foam type, quite heavily deformed. I replaced the syphon on
Friday night as I couldn't flush the wc, the original bung leaked quite a
lot so this morning I got a new one but this is a solid rubber one. It
doesn't leak as badly as the old one.
I guess that I can try and get something closer to the original but I can't
really see why this one is leaking so I assume it is just my technique in
fitting it.

Kevin

It may be that the top surface of the entry to the pan and the
underside of the cistern are not a good fit and the water is simply
pushing past the rubber collar. A foamy doughnut will probably fix
it.

I would avoid using sealant because you will have difficulty separating
the components in the future.