Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveBell SteveBell is offline

Default Sprucing up poly hardwood floor

dadiOH wrote:

jacy wrote:
My 60 year-old hardwood floor was refinished about 18 years ago. It
could probably use it again, especially in high-traffic pathways,
but in a few years I'm going to replace my tile kitchen floor with
hardwood and want to wait until then so it can be stain-matched.

In the meantime, is there anything I can do to spruce it up a bit?
The finish -- which was originally satin -- has worn in areas and
I'd like bring back the overall sheen. The area adjacent to the
kitchen is the worst and could probably use some sanding.

There are three things you could do...

1. Wax & buff it
2. Apply an acrylic "wax"
3. Apply poly

A fourth option is a reconditioning service. They use solvents to
dissolve the finish, then reapply it. The cost is considerably less
than sanding and refinishing, the smell factor is very low, and they're
done in a day.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement