Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Stauffer in Minnesota Don Stauffer in Minnesota is offline

Default Do modern engines last longer?

On Aug 2, 1:56*am, "William Noble" wrote:
"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message

Hi folks,

This question came into my head a few days ago. I often hear people
suggesting that the latest vehicle engines last longer and are more
trouble-free than older engines. But I also hear people saying, just as
often, "They don't make them like they used to".

short answer, "yes", at least for automotive use. *I have 1936, 1938, 1951,
1959, 1985, 1986, 1993, 1997, and 2001 vehicles under my purview. *up
through the 51 year car, 150K miles or so was the limit - at that point the
bores were 40 to 60 over, rings shot, no compression, crank oval, no oil
pressure, etc. *59 is good for 200K easy. there was a major change in the
metalurgy of the engine block, etc, as I understand it - we can debate what
changed, but the longevity is just not an issue

** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

In additions to metallurgical advances, there have also been major,
good changes in lubricating oil and manufacturing precision.

I was talking to a friend who runs an engine rebuilding business,
specializing in rebuilding antique and classic engines. I told him I
was looking for plastigauge in a parts store, but they didn't even
know what it was.

He said he does not check clearances on new bearings when using new
cranks, or even when he has turned a crank himself and measures
journals. He says bearings, and new cranks, are the nominal size the
mfg says they are, to a perfectly adequate precision, not like years
ago. He says measurement capability and machining operations are much
improved today.