Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Anthony Anthony is offline

Default Do modern engines last longer?

Christopher Tidy wrote in
:

Hi folks,

This question came into my head a few days ago. I often hear people
suggesting that the latest vehicle engines last longer and are more
trouble-free than older engines. But I also hear people saying, just as
often, "They don't make them like they used to".

I can't vouch for lawnmower engines, but for automobile engines, the
designed life expectancy is ever climbing. I work as an engineer in the
automotive engine design and manufacturing industry. The designed life
expectancy of engine components for most manufacturers is 150,000 miles
minimum, some are higher, some slightly lower, but pretty much the
standard is 150k.
These components must go 150k before any appreciable wear is shown. This
means the actual useful life of the components is closer to 200-250k (or
beyond). Emissions laws pushed this to begin with, since the vehicle is
required to still pass emissions at 100k minimum. But the quality aspect
also played a role.

--
Anthony

better idiots.