Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default Do modern engines last longer?

Christopher Tidy wrote:

This question came into my head a few days ago. I often hear people
suggesting that the latest vehicle engines last longer and are more
trouble-free than older engines. But I also hear people saying, just as
often, "They don't make them like they used to".

I would think advances in metalurgy, newer more ridgid machines that can hold closer
tolerances in making your engine parts, and oil designed with better additive packages
would tend to improve engine life. The electronics are a plus in my mind. I don't miss
setting breaker points and checking timing.

Fuel injection sure beats carburation and with the emissions requirements, we have sensors
that monitor a/f ratio to allow the computer to adjust engine parameters for good
performance. They are tilted toward lower emissions.

And recent vehicals have ODBII which I have found very helpful in spotting a problem
before it becomes serious.

I think they are better. But if you want any engine, new or old to last, change the oil
often. My car has a light that comes on every 5500 miles that tells me to change the
oil, I change the oil far sooner than that.

Wes