Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Noble William Noble is offline

Default Do modern engines last longer?

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
Hi folks,

This question came into my head a few days ago. I often hear people
suggesting that the latest vehicle engines last longer and are more
trouble-free than older engines. But I also hear people saying, just as
often, "They don't make them like they used to".

short answer, "yes", at least for automotive use. I have 1936, 1938, 1951,
1959, 1985, 1986, 1993, 1997, and 2001 vehicles under my purview. up
through the 51 year car, 150K miles or so was the limit - at that point the
bores were 40 to 60 over, rings shot, no compression, crank oval, no oil
pressure, etc. 59 is good for 200K easy. there was a major change in the
metalurgy of the engine block, etc, as I understand it - we can debate what
changed, but the longevity is just not an issue