Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default Replacing a fused CU ?

Andrew Gabriel coughed up some electrons that declared:

In article ,
Tim S writes:

And a true pervert would put in an industrial Type B 20 way SPSN board
filled with double pole RCBO's ;-

A real man, of course, has 3 phase...

Cheers

Tim

PS - I was seriously lusting after MEM's 8-way Type A board (well, 2,
stacked) with SP+SN busbar and matching RCBOs.

Until I priced it...

Well, I went for the MEM (now Eaton) AM industrial range for
home...
http://www.cucumber.demon.co.uk/cu1.jpg
http://www.cucumber.demon.co.uk/cu2.jpg

It's very nice to use compared to cheap plastic ones, and
in the case of DIY, that's where you can spend the money
you saved by DIYing it, although I think you're looking
at around £320 for what's in that picture. More bits were
added just afterwards which I had to wait for as they
were ordered from MEM. This was the 3rd MEM AM range CU
I fitted in different places.

(The extra box above is to extend the wires which weren't
long enough after removing the old CU.)

That's a work of art Andrew. Where did you get your kit from? The only
online supplier of MEM I can find is www.kempstoncontrols.co.uk and even
the ready assembled RCBO's (SP/1 module) are 66+VAT. I suspect you paid
less?

I priced up the 2x AM8D board (L+N busbar, no need for neutral tails - then
one I meant above) and 11 DP RCBOs and it's that that came to 1400 ish inc
VAT. The DP MCB+MR30 field-fittable RCD module came to about
78+VAT/circuit. That's what killed it for me.

It was pushing me back towards Hager who aren't bad but the RCBOs are way
cheaper, ditto Crabtree.

On an aside, I assume you had to go with Type C overload RCBOs? Any issues
with these over Type B?

I'm aware of the argument that even on TN-S where Type C may not provide
sufficient protection against indirect contact that the RCD nullifies this
by itself providing the required disconnection time for an L-E fault, but
nevertheless...

Cheers

Tim