Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default 12V car cig lighter adapters - safe?

On 2008-08-02 08:51:42 +0100, "Graham" said:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

BTW, you really are showing your ignorance if you think electrics
regulations are simple.

No not simple, but not technical. More like law than engineering.

And showing a remarkable arrogance by poo pooing

Not arrogant, but a few (Andy I think) were pretending to know something and
it appeared he was just flapping his gums.

Appearances can be deceptive, but it would appear to me that the boot
is on the other foot here.

I react that way to bull ****ters
and am still waiting to be proved wrong by getting an answer to my very
basic electronics question that he shoud easily know if he has the knowledge
he was pretending to have.

All of which has scant relevance to the subject matter of the thread.

The issue with that is simple enough and is whether or not the designer
of an adaptor accessory will have done a proper design taking into
account all of the factors that can happen in the relatively
electrically agressive environment of a vehicle or whether he is
producing something for a price for a manufacturer who is not going to
take responsibility if something goes wrong.

Cost, risk, product and reputation are by far the more important things
that should be taken into account in the design and production of a
product.

Ergo, taking this example; if I have (for example) a notebook computer
costing £1500 and the choice of buying a vendor supplied adaptor for
£50 or a cheap and nasty unknown one for £10, it's pretty obvious
which one is the sensible choice.

one trade or profession against another. Common only to those who have
know real knowledge of either.

I've lived long enough to respect skills in *any* job. That happens when
you DIY. And if you were to check my posts here you'd not get a clue as to
my paid job.

And FWIW, I'm not sure what Andy does for a living. It's irrelevant
anyway.

I think its very relavent given he what he has been saying.

Dave is correct. It is irrelevant. I've had technical and
commercial career roles across a very broad range of technologies and
disciplines and have educated myself in many others. The important
point is knowing how and where to find information, to be able to
verify it and finally to apply it. It would be impossible to do
that by narrow focus and filling one's head with formulae and junk
that's only relevant to an immediate technology.

To take your (irrelevant) point about capacitors, the issue should not
be about remembering formulae related to their use in circuits but to
begin by looking at whether or not a capacitor is going to be involved
in the solution. Cars generally don't have 50Hz electrical systems
unless one has an inverter for producing 50Hz mains supply.