Michael Baglio

Default Jointer Useful for Hobbyist?

On 21 Aug 2003 20:19:44 -0700, (JVG) wrote:

I have recently taken up woodworking and I am thinking about buying a
jointer (6" floor model). My question is how useful/essential do you
think a jointer is for a hobbyist?

Let me invite you to back up a minute from all the posts that say a
jointer is mandatory and take a little walk "outside the box."

There's a subtle but important difference between:
"You need a jointer." and "You need to properly joint your stock."

It's absolutely the case that properly jointed stock is necessary to
join boards for whatever you're building.

But maybe as a hobbyist, you don't care to unload the bucks to
purchase latest, greatest Binford 8000 jointer. Fine, you can joint
wood with a router. Yes, your humble router and a good straight edge
guide will give you perfectly acceptable results for edge joining two
boards.

If you're going to work wood with any regularity or passion, then
learn woodworking rule #1. It will serve you well:

"There is always always always more than one way to accomplish
something."

whisper However, if joining boards is an "excuse" for going out and
buying a jointer then by all means buy one. ; /whisper

Good luck,
Michael Baglio
Chapel Hill